At Colpac, we are proud of the fact we were one of the first manufacturers of carton board packaging to offer environmentally-friendly products to the food service industry.
As a sustainability-driven business, we recognise the importance of ‘where’ and ‘how’ when it comes down to what we produce and which materials we use. That is why we are committed to ensuring that our practices and products continue to complement our green and innovative approach to our marketplace and are integrated with our environmental policies.
Today, a large proportion of our range is recycled, recyclable, biodegradable or compostable*; and recyclability is at the centre of our environmental commitment.
Colpac recognises its responsibilities in relation to the environment adopting working practices and procedures that minimise any adverse impact on the environment. We encourage all our employees to play their part in enhancing our sustainability efforts and are rigorous in our selection of new suppliers and reassessment of existing ones.
Through continuous monitoring, not relying solely on self assessment, and conducting our own visits to verify ongoing compliance, we are extending our social and environmental commitments into our supply chain.
• We are PEFC™ & FSC® certified and offer packaging solutions guaranteeing board quality and traceability. We are licence holders of the relevant trademarks and they can be used to help identify certified products
• A holistic recycling approach: We actively recycle as much of our waste as possible, from plastic wraps to aluminium printing plates, in compliance with Producer Responsibility Obligation Regulations 2007
• Member of SEDEX, supporting us in driving forward our ethical trading policy and commitment to sustainability
• Active reduction of energy consumption, whether in manufacturing, office spaces, or transport logistics
• Active reduction of material consumption, notably through continuous optimisation of packaging designs
• Sourcing from local suppliers where possible, promoting our local industry, encouraging sustainability, and reducing our carbon footprint
• All our carton board material is purchased from managed forests, in line with EU Timber Regulation (EUTR)
• Providing training opportunities for our employees to ensure compliance with our health & safety, ethical, and sustainability practices
• Employing local staff and investing in our community: our employees become advocates of sustainable practice
• Consistently working in alignment with initiatives to reduce food waste issues: with UN targets set to cut global food waste by half in 2030 and to reduce greenhouse emissions. Our M.A.P. (modified atmosphere packaging) products and more conventional, innovative designs can extend shelf-life by several days or even weeks, reducing food waste and fuel emissions
• Operating close to residential areas, we strive to be considerate neighbours: reducing noise pollution and operating within sociable hours
• An Environmental Management System that satisfies the requirements of ISO14001:2015
• 100% of our board waste is collected for recycling
Our team are extremely knowledgeable in paperboard and, through this expertise, we frequently test different board materials with food products to ensure that we provide our customers with the exact solution to meet their needs.
Part of our process is to guide both our distributors and food processing customers on our range of board materials and sealing machinery to help them make a fully informed decision, before delivering the best packaging solution possible. Understanding the entire journey a customer’s product will take, and the supply chain involved, has been integral to our success on advising the right application time and time again.
Each item in our product range falls under separate categories, from compostable products, which break down completely within 90 days (under the EN 13432 standard), to recyclable and biodegradable packaging.
We are proud to be engaging with the Carbon Capture programme, a unique, market leading, environmental marketing initiative with real tangible benefits.
We are now offering our clients the opportunity to capture the CO2 emissions from the manufacture and distribution of the material we purchase for our packaging products by
planting new native woodland right here in the UK, through the Woodland Trust and the Woodland Carbon scheme.
By opting to Carbon Capture with Colpac, you are helping to create native woodland in the UK providing habitats for wildlife and green spaces for all to enjoy. The Woodland
Carbon logo can be used on packaging to enhance, communicate your brand and your environmental values.
The Woodland Trust issue certificates detailing the amount of new native woodland you have helped create and CO2 captured.
Compostable materials are similar to biodegradable materials, as they are both intended to return to the earth safely. However, compostable materials go one step further by providing the earth with nutrients once the material has undergone a biological degradation process in commercial facilities, leaving no visible or toxic residue.
We list a number of stock products within our portfolio which are fully compostable within 16 weeks, with one range fully compliant with the EN 13432 standard as compostable within 90 days.
With targets set to cut global food waste by half in 2030 and to reduce greenhouse emissions, we have developed a paperboard range of heat-sealable and modiﬁed atmosphere packaging (M.A.P.) which can extend the shelf-life of products by several days, and even weeks. In turn this can lead to reducing food waste and fuel emissions through less frequent deliveries. Shelf-life varies dependent on ingredients, packing conditions and the environment in which the packed goods are stored.
**We always recommend that you clarify the shelf-life of your own products, when using our packaging, by carrying out your own trials. **
Recycled packaging is produced from recovered materials. Conserving natural resources, greatly contributing towards improving and protecting our environment. Many of the products featured
in our catalogue, contain recycled packaging elements, such as rPET lids.
Recyclable packaging materials can be separated, collected, processed from the waste stream and then manufactured into a new product.